Big Lottery Jackpot Could Be Big Win in South Dakota


SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO) – It’s been about seven years since a couple from Rapid City won $ 2 million in the Powerball lottery.

Jim and Barb Powers won $ 2 million on June 5, 2013, according to the South Dakota State Lottery. Prior to that, Neal Wanless became the state’s biggest winner by winning a $ 232,100,000 Powerball on May 27, 2009.

Neal wanless Mission Powerball 232 $ 100,000 05/27/2009
Barb and Jim Powers Fast city Powerball $ 2,000,000 6/5/2013
Lynda and Pete Blesi Sioux Falls Dakota cash $ 614,181 09/19/2017
Patricia nerison Sisseton Dakota cash $ 594,260 1/7/2019
Kent waldner Carpenter Dakota cash $ 453,996 12/31/2019
The top five lottery winners in the state. The first two are the winners of the Powerball lottery. The others are in games without lotto. South Dakota Lottery Information.

Now that the Powerball Lottery jackpot has hit $ 410 million as of Jan. 5, its biggest jackpot since March 2019, that could inspire the South Dakotas to try and become the next big winner.

“Oh yeah, we sell a lot,” said Brian Monahan, director of Sunshine Foods of Sioux Falls, of Powerball lottery tickets.

Powerball lotto tickets are not the only seller as the Mega Millions lottery jackpot has already reached $ 432 million. So far, it’s the biggest since June 2019. The draw is Tuesday January 12th.

Tammy Gred works in customer service at Sunshine. The chance to win millions has attracted some buyers who rarely buy a lotto ticket, she said.

“Some of my regulars buy more,” said Gred.

“A handful are working groups,” Gred said of customers who buy lotto tickets when making a group purchase.

“Big lotto jackpots tend to generate increased sales and more enthusiasm among our players and retail partners,” said Wade Laroche, director of advertising and public relations for the South Dakota Lottery. “While these jackpots are gaining increased attention, we still remind our players to play responsibly and that it only takes one ticket to win.”

Sunshine is one of 609 licensed lottery ticket sellers in the state, according to the South Dakota Lottery. These approved sellers receive a 5% commission plus bonuses for the sale of larger winning tickets.

As the jackpot increases, so does the revenue pot for the state.

The general state fund receives 25% of net income from lotto tickets, according to the South Dakota Lottery. The capital fund receives the remaining 75%.

The lottery generated $ 128,430,861 for the state in fiscal 2020. It generated $ 129,422,384 in fiscal 2019. And $ 124.7 million in fiscal 2018. The money comes from scratch tickets, lotto tickets and video lottery tickets.

Mega Millions and Powerball tickets cost $ 2 per player or $ 3 for the Powerball option or $ 3 for a megaplier option for Mega Millions.

Laroche used the distribution of the price of $ 1 per ticket as an example of the price being divided.

Laroche said 48.8% or 49 cents goes to prices. Retail commissions get 0.05 cents or 5.10%, instant and online sellers got 0.08 cents or 7.58%, 0.06 or 5.68%, go to operating expenses and 0 , 33 cents or 32.84% goes to distributions.

South Dakotas spend more than residents of neighboring states on lottery tickets, according to LendEDU analysis. The analysis is based on data from the US Census Bureau. The most recent Census Bureau data is from 2018.

Per capita South Dakota lotto expenses were $ 186.94. Iowa was $ 117.57. Minnesota was $ 99.40. Nebraska was $ 100.91 while Wyoming’s was $ 42.34.

North Dakotas don’t spend as much on lottery tickets as their neighbors. Per capita spending was $ 30.32. The state’s per capita spending fell from $ 34.68 in 2017 to $ 30.32 in 2018.


About the author